Binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2 - pass1

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 4 03:58:08 PDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Iman Darabi wrote:

> Hi
> Book version : LFS 6.1
> host system : lfs live cd 6.1
>
> I was working on configuring the binutils (section 5.3) ,
> ../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
> then i take a look at config.log file and found this errors :
>
> configure:2249: checking for correct version of gmp.h
> configure:2262: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
> configure:2252:17: gmp.h: No such file or directory
> configure: In function `main':
> configure:2256: error: `choke' undeclared (first use in this function)
> configure:2256: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> configure:2256: error: for each function it appears in.)
> configure:2256: error: parse error before "me"
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 2251 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include "gmp.h"
> int main() {
>
> #if __GNU_MP_VERSION < 3
> choke me
> #endif
>
> ; return 0; }
>
> but the makefile has been made .

  Welcome to the joys of 'configure'.  Full marks to you for looking to
see what it had done, most of us only look there after we get problems.

  The thing to remember is that configure has to set up the build
environment to suit where it is running - we all build on linux, but
binutils can be compiled on other systems.  I think that gmp.h is found
in some, or all, of the BSDs.  The script looks for it to help determine
what sort of operating system it is running on, so that it can then
use the correct Makefile fragments.

Ken