error compiling binutils pass 1

Mike Clawson mclawson at malik.princeton.edu
Sun Oct 2 08:47:08 PDT 2005

> > I've been able to build an LFS 6.1 on an LFS 5.0 system without
> > too much trouble.  I had to update the kernel (as per the book),
> > and at some point I had some fatal errors (I think while building
> > the tools, but I might be misremembering).  I just checked the
> > versions on the host software for the packages listed at the top
> > of the page as dependencies for the package that crashed, and
> > updated them if they were really old.  I think texinfo was the
> > main problem, but, again, I might be misremembering.  It was
> > only a small number of packages that had to be rebuilt on the
> > host system; the aggravation consisted more of figuring out what
> > the problem was than actually solving it once discovered.
> >
> > Just in case, I rebuilt an LFS 6.1 from within the new LFS 6.1,
> > but I now have the build process fully automated.  You might not
> > want to take it that far :)
> >
> You are much braver than I.

That's a nice way to put it :)

> I keep my LFS 5.0 untouched as it is
> the only one that I currently fully trust.

It's all development stuff that needed replacing, and I
could afford to have those out of order for a while.
(The kernel, that's a different story, but nothing seemed
to break when I updated it.)  I suppose it is possible
to compile new versions of the tools in an alternate
directory, so the host system doesn't find them, but
modify the path for the build process so it finds them
first?  But that might be more trouble than the other
solutions you are contemplating.

I do recall having the original tool (can't remember which
one) installed in /bin and the replacement tool in /usr/bin
(or maybe the other way around).  That made life rather
interesting until I figured out what had happened...