error compiling binutils pass 1

Mike Clawson mclawson at malik.princeton.edu
Sun Oct 2 08:01:09 PDT 2005


> Andrew Benton wrote:
> > Albert wrote:
> >
> >> In file included from ./targ-cpu.h:1,
> >>                 from
> >> ../../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/gas/config/obj-elf.h:42,
> >>                 from ./obj-format.h:1,
> >>                 from
> >> ../../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/gas/config/te-linux.h:4,
> >>                 from ./targ-env.h:1,
> >>                 from ../../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/gas/as.h:625,
> >>                 from ../../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/gas/app.c:30:
> >> ../../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/gas/config/tc-i386.h:443: error: array
> >> type has incomplete element type
> >> make[3]: *** [app.o] Error 1
> >> make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda6.lfs61/sources/binutils-build/gas'
> >> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda6.lfs61/sources/binutils-build/gas'
> >> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda6.lfs61/sources/binutils-build/gas'
> >> make: *** [all-gas] Error 2
> >>
> >> Perhaps someone here has seen this before and knows specifically what
> >> is still missing from Ubuntu as a host.
> >
> > It looks like you're trying to compile binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2 with
> > gcc-4. Try uninstalling that and installing gcc-3.4. Or Build the
> > development version of LFS, which compiles fine with gcc-4.
>
> Ah, thank you, Andrew.  I have three distros on my box right now.
> LFS 5.0 (too old), GoboLinux 012(too weird), and Ubuntu 5.10 (too
> new).  I am beginning to despair of hitting that "just right"
> spot wherein LFS 6.1 will install.
>

I've been able to build an LFS 6.1 on an LFS 5.0 system without
too much trouble.  I had to update the kernel (as per the book),
and at some point I had some fatal errors (I think while building
the tools, but I might be misremembering).  I just checked the
versions on the host software for the packages listed at the top
of the page as dependencies for the package that crashed, and
updated them if they were really old.  I think texinfo was the
main problem, but, again, I might be misremembering.  It was
only a small number of packages that had to be rebuilt on the
host system; the aggravation consisted more of figuring out what
the problem was than actually solving it once discovered.

Just in case, I rebuilt an LFS 6.1 from within the new LFS 6.1,
but I now have the build process fully automated.  You might not
want to take it that far :)




More information about the lfs-support mailing list