grub setup problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:54:36 PST 2005

On 11/30/05, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> I think what Thorsten meant was that for a ext{2,3} partition, you can
> boot just fine without having that file in place in your grub directory.
>   I've done that several times. So that line shouldn't be a cause for
> concern.

That's interesting to know.  I have a vfat boot partition, and trying
to boot, grub complained once that one of the stage1_5 files was
missing.  I don't remember which one, I think reiserfs even though I
don't have any reiserfs partitions.  This was probably a bug in grub's
implementation of vfat booting, but ever since then, I just copy all
of the stage1_5 files to /boot/grub.  They're not big enough for me to
care when my kernels are ~2M.

$ du -hc *stage1_5
8.0K    e2fs_stage1_5
8.0K    fat_stage1_5