udev confusion

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:09:44 PST 2005

On 11/29/05, Joerg Balsiger <joergbalsiger at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI enabled because the associated help text
> says ide-scsi is no longer needed for cd writing applications (could it be that
> it is needed for "dvd reading devices"? Not quite clear). I don't think my dvd
> drive is an IDE ATAPI device and at any rate I don't use the hdx=ide-scsi
> kernel command line. Here are the other SCSI options.

Yes, you don't need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI.  That was for when SCSI
emulation was used on IDE to read block devices.  It's deprecated.

> #cat /boot-config-2.6.15-rc2-mm1 | grep SCSI

Try grepping for BLK.  In particular (this is from 2.6.14.2, but it
probably hasn't changed much):

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SCH is not set

I don't have SCSI, so these aren't set for me.  If I had to take a
guess without actually running config and looking at the help, I would
say you need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR.

> > It seems that udev is working if you have the device /dev/sr0 and
> > symlink /dev/dvd.  What does ls -l /dev/sr0 give you?
>
> #ls -l /dev/sr0
> ls: /dev/sr0: No such file or directory
>
> So udev didn't recognized my rule and created /dev/sr1

OK, what does ls -l /dev/sr1 say?  How about file /dev/sr1?  Is it
actually a block device?

--
Dan