udev confusion

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:04:54 PST 2005

On 11/29/05, Joerg Balsiger <joergbalsiger at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But when I insert a data dvd and try to mount it with:
>
> mount -t auto /dev/dvd /media/dvd
>
> I'm told that it is not a block device (I've also tried
>
> mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /media/dvd
>
> but get the same error).

I'm shooting from the hip right now, but is it possible you do not
have support for SCSI block devices compiled into the kernel (or
available as a module)?  I know for IDE, you have to specify in the
kernel config that you want support for this.  Of course, I don't
remember the keys for these CONFIG lines.  Maybe you should look
through your kernel config to make sure you have this.

It seems that udev is working if you have the device /dev/sr0 and
symlink /dev/dvd.  What does ls -l /dev/sr0 give you?

--
Dan