kernel compilation error

Paul Tuohy Paul at EveryoneSmile.com
Tue Nov 29 06:13:51 PST 2005

Thanks for the reply.

Strangely I do have some of the binutils programs such as ar. I did the
second binutils install and toolchain adjustments. Like you say ...
something got messed up.

-----Original Message-----
From: lfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:lfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org]On Behalf Of thorsten
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:06 AM
To: LFS Support List
Subject: Re: kernel compilation error

> OBJCOPY arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin
> /bin/sh: objcopy: command not found
> make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

Well looks like you don't have the program /usr/bin/objcopy. You could
verify this by doing ls /usr/bin. If it is there, your path is not set
correctly. Do echo $PATH to check, if /usr/bin is included. If you don't
have objcopy, then something got messed up with the binutils install in
chapter06. You could check, if you have other binutils programs
installed, such as:
/usr/bin/size
/usr/bin/objdump
/usr/bin/ar
/usr/bin/strings
/usr/bin/ranlib
/usr/bin/objcopy
/usr/bin/addr2line
/usr/bin/readelf
/usr/bin/nm
/usr/bin/strip
/usr/bin/c++filt
/usr/bin/as
/usr/bin/gprof
/usr/bin/ld
If you are missing those programs, you could try to redo the binutils
install in chaper 06, however since binutils is an important package
(including the linker), I am not shure if this is going to work.

Thorsten