udev confusion

Matt Darcy lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 06:09:02 PST 2005

Joerg Balsiger wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My head is buzzing with udev rules, buses and devices - I hope somebody can
> help me sort this out (I've read the man pages, the March 2005 LFS-support
> thread on udev rules, as well as the various, unfortunately very
> gentoo-oriented, guides for writing udev rules):
>
> I have a laptop with a cdrw drive that stopped working, so I uncommented the
> LFS 6.1-derived udev rule for recognizing the cdrom. (I use (B)LFS 6.1, but
> have upgraded to a 2.6.15-rc2-mm1 kernel and udev 076)

Hi Joerg,

FYI: I believe udev/2.6.15/hotplug intergration has changed a lot in
2.6.15.

Have a look through the release nots for 2.6.15 and some of the comments
in the GIT release kernel (I'm sure there is more offical/better
documentation elsewhere)

the jump to 2.6.15 seems to be significant, so check it out before
fighting with udev rules.

Matt