Package user, perms problem

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Sat Nov 26 09:31:37 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:40:02PM +0100, Steffen R. Knollmann wrote:
> > The prob is with perms AFAIK. some how it can't open the fb0 device.
> > Is there a way to see if I can check weather the user phoenix can open
> > it? I thought of doing something like echo hi >>/dev/fb0 but afraid it
> > might screw up something.
>
> You wrote somewhere else:
> > crw--w----  1 root video 29, 0 Nov 26  2005 /dev/fb0

  Okay, yes, these permissions will definitely not work. You need to be
able to read from the device, MPlayer opens (or tries to) it RW (see
libvo/vo_fbdev.c line 663). So either be root :-) or give read access to
the video group (probably you'll have to tweak the accorindg rules-file
for udev).

  Then it should work though.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
I will feel great without my weight pulling me down
Would I still feel myself when I hit the ground