Package user, perms problem

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Sat Nov 26 05:40:02 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:26:42PM +0530, Subhash Chandra wrote:
> I don't have X at all. So I can't have xv and x11. I know about that.
> I'm using mplayer for quite some time and I used to suid to root on
> redhat and lateron slackware.

  Okay. Well. Different approach then :-)

You wrote somewhere else:
> crw--w----  1 root video 29, 0 Nov 26  2005 /dev/fb0

  Well, try to add read permission to /dev/fb0 for the video group. I
cannot check on my LFS box, but the SuSE-whatever thing I have access to
uses:
  crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 0 2005-03-19 23:01 /dev/fb0

  That should rid you of the 'Can't open /dev/fb0: Permission denied'
thingie.  I don't think it'll solve the 'Error occurred during pci scan'
ones, but perhaps it is not needed then.

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
Finiturus eram, sed sunt diversa puellis
pectora; mille animos excipe mille modis.