Package user, perms problem

Steffen R. Knollmann sknolli at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Nov 25 23:51:06 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:38:33AM +0530, Subhash Chandra wrote:
[snip stuff]
> it can play songs. It works even if sgid or suid bits are not set. But
> this way I have access to only either audio or video. Can't have both.
> isn't it!
> This is the mess without needing disk user, to access files on mounted
> partitions.
>
> Is there any other way to do this than suid to root?

  Can you be a bit more specific as to what doesn't work? Does mplayer
throw an error? Did you try to use different parameters to the '-vo'
option?

  What is wrong with adding yourself to group audio (and, if necessary,
group video)? This way you can control who has access to the according
hardware.

  I can play videos just fine with this setup:
  $ ll $(which mplayer)
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 mplayer mplayer 5629252 2005-11-08 22:02 /usr/bin/mplayer
  $ groups mplayer
  mplayer : mplayer install
  $ groups
  users audio

  Cheers,
    Steffen

--
Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless.  -- Calvin