Machine hangs on beep

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 24 05:52:06 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Subhash Chandra wrote:

(strange, pine really doesn't want to quote this, I'll try doing it by
hand this time)
>My slack is 2.6.11 kernel with ac patch. and it was configured with
>yestoall because that was my first attempt at kernel and I missed up
>on lot of things.
>
>on the other hand, my LFS kernel is 2.6.13-4 (yeah, I forgot to
>mention that diviation. Sorry) and ITE 82xx drivers were merged in it
>already. So I assumed they would be better than the ac-patch.

  I think that is the correct assumption.

>How do you list out the modules that are loaded? I did a lsmodand got
>the following output.
>
>Module                  Size  Used by
>ipv6                  225760  34
>hci_usb                13448  0
>bluetooth              42372  1 hci_usb
>pcspkr                  3548  0
>rtc                    10680  0
>e1000                 101044  0
>nvidia               3706952  12
>snd_intel8x0           29376  0
>snd_ac97_codec         81020  1 snd_intel8x0
>snd_pcm                81156  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
>snd_timer              21508  1 snd_pcm
>snd                    45796  4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>snd_page_alloc          8584  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>joydev                  8256  0
>ntfs                  195344  2

  Yes, those are the modules you have loaded.  Plenty of candidates for
trouble there!  I'm somewhat surprised to see you are using ntfs, but
the prime candidates (based on what you wrote earlier) must be pcspkr
and the sound modules.  Looking at its size, nvidia must be the wrapper
for the binary module, so if you can, try without that first.

  If you can narrow it down a bit, you might want to try 2.6.14.latest
(.3 is due) to see if the problem is still present.  Obviously, check
the logs in case any interesting error messages show up.

Ken