Machine hangs on beep

Subhash Chandra mr.subhash at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 04:50:36 PST 2005

On 11/24/05, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>   Possibly a wrong kernel driver loaded - I had something very similar on
> ppc64 last week (the kernel misidentifies my sound hardware, and loads a
> module for it - box hangs on any attempt to play a sound, or at the ESC
> key in vim, or on tab completion), solved in my case by not building any
> alsa modules.
>
>   I don't imagine your problem is exactly the same, but it looks like the
> sort of problem you get when a kernel driver pokes at hardware it
> shouldn't touch, so review your kernel config and take out everything
> you don't need.  Of course, if you have the config for slack, you could
> try using that as the input for 'make oldconfig' (add udev support).
> if not, at least review which modules slackware loads.
>
>   Actually, google is full of problems with the ite8212, but they all
> seem to be old, so I _assume_ it got merged from the -ac patches.

Thanks for your replies!

My slack is 2.6.11 kernel with ac patch. and it was configured with
yestoall because that was my first attempt at kernel and I missed up
on lot of things.

on the other hand, my LFS kernel is 2.6.13-4 (yeah, I forgot to
mention that diviation. Sorry) and ITE 82xx drivers were merged in it
already. So I assumed they would be better than the ac-patch.

How do you list out the modules that are loaded? I did a lsmodand got
the following output.
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  225760  34
hci_usb                13448  0
bluetooth              42372  1 hci_usb
pcspkr                  3548  0
rtc                    10680  0
e1000                 101044  0
nvidia               3706952  12
snd_intel8x0           29376  0
snd_ac97_codec         81020  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                81156  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21508  1 snd_pcm
snd                    45796  4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc          8584  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
joydev                  8256  0
ntfs                  195344  2

Thnkyou for the help

Subhash Chandra

--
║I don't know how much of what I say is true ║