At 6.61, backup before Stripping Again & stripping itself

Micheal E Cooper mcooper at miyazaki-mic.ac.jp
Tue Nov 22 16:42:29 PST 2005

In 6.61, the good book says,

"However, it is easy to make a typo and render the new system unusable, so
before running the strip command, it is a good idea to make a backup of
the current situation."

So what is the best way to make this backup?

(1) As root user of the host system, do 'tar -cjf 051123_lfs_bkp.tar.bz2
$LFS'.
(2) As root of the chroot'd system, do 'tar -cjf 051123_lfs_bkp.tar.bz2 /'.
(3) other utilities or methods, or some tar options that I don't know???

Forgive my ignorance, but this issue of backups is one of the things I
want most to master in Linux (or any other system I use, for that matter).