Hi! A few questions from a first timer

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 20:07:51 PST 2005

To answer #1 and #2:

The book is always authoritative. If the lfs-packages tarballs includes
extra files that are not mentioned in the book you are reading, ignore
it. If the book mentions files the tarball doesn't have, download them
(there are URLs in chapter 3 of the book but I think you already figured
that out).

lfs-packages tarballs can be out of sync with the book due to human error.

You said you had lfs-packages-6.1.1 and book version 6.1. 6.1.1 hasn't
been released yet, it's currently in "pre-release" state.

The current testing, for example, has a newer binutils patch than the
one from your lfs-packages-6.1.1.tar.bz2 file. Unless it was a typo on
your part and you meant to type 2.15.94.0.2.2-gcc4-1 and not
2.15.90.0.2.2-gcc4-1 like you did. Also, you mentioned util-linux patch
version 2.12g but the version is actually 2.12q. Maybe a typo, since 'q'
and 'g' can look similar.

Either way, you have a mis-matched book and packages version. I would
encourage to get the current Testing version of LFS.

> #3 Each time I start up the host computer (Suse 9.3 Pro), I have to
> mount the lfs partition. I am guessing this is because we have not
> messed with /etc/fstab yet, and I have to reset the environment variable
>   export LFS=/mnt/lfs. Is this expected behavior at this point (I am up
> to page 49 "Chapter 5 Constructing a Temporary System

Yes, that is expected and normal under the circumstances. You could
modify your host system's /etc/fstasb so the LFS partition is mounted
automatically if you wanted to.

> #4 Is there anything else that I need to do before working on LFS each
> time I boot the host system?

If you are still in chapter 5, make sure you switch to the "lfs" user as
explained in chapter 4 before continuing with package installations from
chapter 5.

--
Gerard Beekmans