Hi! A few questions from a first timer

ChasJTurner chjtr at gte.net
Mon Nov 21 18:35:26 PST 2005

Hi!
  I have finally decided to jump off the cliff and build lfs (my Knees
have been shaking for months leading up to this) using
lfs-packages-6.1.1.tar, and the LFS-BOOK-6.1.pdf. I decided to download
the tarball of all packages from ftp.planetmirror.com , and I noticed
somethings after I unpacked it.
#1 IPRoute2 Disable DB Patch (iproute2-2.6.11_050330-remove_db-1.patch
and Zlib Security Patch (zlib-1.2.2-security_fix-1.patch
were both missing from the tarball. Question #1 If something is listed
in the book, but is missing from the tarball, should I assume that does
need to be downloaded and included in the proper directory? I did assume
this and dl'd those 2 files to /mnt/lfs/sources.
#2 Several other patches not listed in the book were included in the
tarball:
binutils-2.15.90.0.2.2-gcc4-1.patch
bzip2-1.0.3-bzgrep_security.patch
bzip2-1.0.3-install_docs-1.patch
glibc-2.3.4-rtld_search_dirs-1.patch
util-linux-2.12g-umount_fix-1.patch
Is it safe/correct to assume that if something is included in the
tarball, but not specified in the book, that those items should be
included in the build?
#3 Each time I start up the host computer (Suse 9.3 Pro), I have to
mount the lfs partition. I am guessing this is because we have not
messed with /etc/fstab yet, and I have to reset the environment variable
   export LFS=/mnt/lfs. Is this expected behavior at this point (I am up
to page 49 "Chapter 5 Constructing a Temporary System
5.1.Introduction)?
#4 Is there anything else that I need to do before working on LFS each
time I boot the host system?
Thanks for taking the time to read and consider!
charlie turner