glibc "make check" failure on nptl/tst-clock2.c

jstipins at umich.edu jstipins at umich.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:06:24 PST 2005

OK, so after some research (well, some lucky guesses) it turns out that
this problem was due to extreme clock skew on AMD 64 processors.  In fact,
the system clock runs about 3x too fast with 2.6.x kernels on these chips,
which is what was causing the strange test failure on "make check".

It turns out that, in my case anyway, passing the "apci=noirq noapic"
boot parameters seems to be a workaround.  "noapic" by itself fixes the
clock problem, but ruins lots of other things... ethernet broken, etc.

This really isn't an LFS issue, but I thought I'd pass along what I
learned about the problem.

-Janis