Problem with dynamic linking

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 4 04:22:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, David Lyne wrote:

> Hi
>
>>  I don't know if that works, but certainly anything which uses
>> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL with a value less that 2.6.0 is unlikely to play nicely
>> with our gcc configured with --enable-kernel=2.6.0.
>
> I'm away next week, so I'll leave you all in peace! But before I do, a couple
> of questions. If I was to rebuild my system but leave this option out of gcc
> (and maybe choose a different threading model for glibc), do you think that I
> could get Maple to work? Would I be likely to encounter other problems along
> the way?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

  Yes ('could' as in 'perhaps possible'), and undoubtedly yes 8)

  After people have built a first LFS, playing about with it is often
part of the learning process.  The difference from following the book is
that when it breaks, you often get to keep both pieces.  Preferably,
keep a sane LFS system for normal use, at least until everything in the
experimental system is proved to work.

  As practice to get you into the correct mindset for experimental
learning, perhaps try using sed to edit the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL string in
a copy of the maple installer to 2.6.0 (vim might be thinking it is a
text file).

Ken