For 486s

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Fri Nov 4 02:30:31 PST 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:09:27 +0000 (GMT)
Ian <info at freedomnet.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a number of 486 machines. They have very little memory
> 16M or less. My interest is to make a version of Linux to
> run a few programs on these, particularly the mail program
> Mutt and Midnight Commander; no X stuff. I need to keep
> well below 100M drive space.

I had LFS-3 running on 486/16M a couple of years ago, so it should be possible.  You may find the latest kernels too bloated.

It'll be a long-winded up-hill struggle, but I'm sure it can be done.  I hope you have built a regular LFS first, it isn't a project to cut your teeth on.

R.