p54 'make -C ld clean' -> no ld directory

Micheal E Cooper mcooper at miyazaki-mic.ac.jp
Thu Nov 3 18:09:04 PST 2005

As an addition and in good faith, the only FAQ entry that looks like my
problem is:
------------------------
ld: cannot find -lc
    You get a message early in chapter 5 (LFS-4.1) or at the first pass of
gcc (LFS CVS) which ends like this:
    -static -o gengenrtl \ gengenrtl.o ../libiberty/libiberty.a
    ld: cannot find -lc
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Your host system is probably Mandrake 9 or higher. By default, its
base system does not have a static C library (/usr/lib/libc.a) which
is required for the static compilation of packages.
    You need to install the glibc-static-devel RPM, which is on the third
CD. You can verify the succesfull installation by verifying that
/usr/lib/libc.a exists. If you're using LFS 4.1, check that everything
in $LFS/static/bin is built static by using file $LFS/static/bin/*. If
a package is not statically linked, reinstall it with the instructions
from chapter 5.

However, it is not the same error message, and I am getting errors when I
try to install binutils itself. Also, I am using FC4, not Mandrake.

Do FC4 and Mandrake have the same problem?