Configure of Binutils fails (Unterminated `s' command)

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 3 13:38:23 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Jacek Bajor wrote:

> I try to compile it in binutils-build directory (as it is said in the
> LFS book). I use Development version of the book and I have
> Slackware-current and my sed version is 4.1.4 (there's 4.0.3 in
> Slackware-current).
>
> There's no conftest.s1 file (i've tried "updatedb && slocate conftest.s1").

  OK, it's not likely to be a problem with the host's sed.

  I'm sorry, you've misunderstood me - there are configure scripts in the
following subdirectories of binutils-2.16.1:  binutils, bfd, gas,
libiberty, opcodes, ld, gprof, intl, etc.  These all get run by make
configure-host.

  I'm hoping that after the error message it will tell you which
directories it is leaving.  You can then look at config.log in the
corresponding subdirectory of binutils-build.

Ken