Problem with dynamic linking

David Lyne davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 08:17:46 PST 2005

Hi Ken

>   However, I just googled, and maple advocates will no doubt argue that
> (1) is the answer:  this url seems to be the same problem.  (watch for
> wrapping, on the version of pine that I'm using, anything might happen!)
> http://www.forumsforyou.com/p/comp.soft-sys.math.maple/Maple_10_install_problem_on_Linux_816.html

Hmm. I need to improve my googling skills 8o(.

I've just done the following: (and apologies for dodgy line wraping)

$ export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 && ldd /usr/bin/awk
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open

so I think we've found the problem. Thanks Ken 8o)

>  That has a link to a possible solution at
> http://www.maplesoft.com/support/faqs/Maple8/Installation/10.aspx

I've tried editing the file that it suggests (with vim), but because it
seems to be a mixture of shell script and binary, it gets corrupted
whenever I save it. (What I mean is, when I view the file with less or
vim, the top part is all ascii characters, but the bottom part is all
unreadable.) When I run the file again after saving whatever changes I
make it dies while extracting itself.

>  BTW, isn't this a blfs-support issue ? :-)

Well, I guess it is now. Originally I thought I'd messed up something
with the linker itself, which would (I think?) have been an LFS issue.

Thanks for you help again - I really appreciate your friendliness.

Dave
8o)