Problem with dynamic linking

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 3 07:49:56 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, David Lyne wrote:

> Hi again
>
> I got a copy of Maple-10 (the current version, which was the suggestion of
> Maplesoft's technical support) from the powers that be at my university and
> guess what? I get exactly the same problems  8o(.
>
> So, I'm going to try and rephrase my question!
>
> Given the problem that I am having installing this package:
>
>> awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared
>> object file: No such file or directory
>> dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> Launching installer...
>>
>> grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
>> object file: No such file or directory
>> /tmp/install.dir.2870/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading
>> shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
>> file or directory
>
> which of the following statements do you think are true?
>
> 1) There is something inherent in the way that LFS is built which causes this
> problem.
> 2) There is something inherent in this individual package which causes the
> problem.
> 3) There has been a mistake made in the building of the LFS which causes the
> problem.
>
> The point of my question is that if it is 1) which is true I may as well give
> up on LFS because Maple is a vital tool for me. If 3) is true then I'm happy
> to carefully rebuild my LFS. If 2) is true then I'm a bit stuck and will have
> to wait until I have lots of time to work out what's going on.
>
> Cheers again
> Dave
> 8o)

  Prime suspect has to be (2).  I don't know what you have installed
since finishing LFS, but these sorts of errors are not common.
All of the errors before the 'Launching installer' message are
apparently from regular tools.

   However, I just googled, and maple advocates will no doubt argue that
(1) is the answer:  this url seems to be the same problem.  (watch for
wrapping, on the version of pine that I'm using, anything might happen!)
http://www.forumsforyou.com/p/comp.soft-sys.math.maple/Maple_10_install_problem_on_Linux_816.html
  That has a link to a possible solution at
http://www.maplesoft.com/support/faqs/Maple8/Installation/10.aspx

  I don't know if that works, but certainly anything which uses
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL with a value less that 2.6.0 is unlikely to play nicely
with our gcc configured with --enable-kernel=2.6.0.

  BTW, isn't this a blfs-support issue ? :-)

Ken