Problem with dynamic linking

David Lyne davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 06:44:39 PST 2005

Hi again

I got a copy of Maple-10 (the current version, which was the suggestion
of Maplesoft's technical support) from the powers that be at my
university and guess what? I get exactly the same problems  8o(.

So, I'm going to try and rephrase my question!

Given the problem that I am having installing this package:

> awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
> dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open
> basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>
> Launching installer...
>
> grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> /tmp/install.dir.2870/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading
> shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

which of the following statements do you think are true?

1) There is something inherent in the way that LFS is built which causes
this problem.
2) There is something inherent in this individual package which causes
the problem.
3) There has been a mistake made in the building of the LFS which causes
the problem.

The point of my question is that if it is 1) which is true I may as well
give up on LFS because Maple is a vital tool for me. If 3) is true then
I'm happy to carefully rebuild my LFS. If 2) is true then I'm a bit
stuck and will have to wait until I have lots of time to work out what's
going on.

Cheers again
Dave
8o)