Problem with dynamic linking

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:46:56 PST 2005

This may be more appropriate for blfs-support.  Anyone?

On 11/1/05, David Lyne <davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I am trying to install a binary package (Maple-9.5 in fact). It comes
> with a fancy java gui installer program, so I run it and get the
<snip>
> awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
> dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
<snip>
> /tmp/install.dir.2870/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading
> shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
>

> It appears that the script that does the configuration doesn't work
> properly with the dynamic linker, but I don't know enough about the
> internals of glibc to be able to diagnose the problem properly.

That's quite odd.  I wish I still had a copy of Maple-9.5.  We had a
site license at school, and it installed on Solaris.  I'm no expert on
the linker either, so this is all guesswork.  First, could you give
more details on the install program?  Is it kicked off by a shell
script, is it pure java?  Have you ever had problems with the linker
before?  Could you root around in /tmp/install.dir.2870 and see if
there's any configuration files it's set up?

--
Dan