Problem with dynamic linking

David Lyne davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 07:36:21 PST 2005

Hello.

I'm not sure is this should belong here or on BLFS-support, so my
apologies if I've picked the wrong place.

I am trying to install a binary package (Maple-9.5 in fact). It comes
with a fancy java gui installer program, so I run it and get the
following error messages:

awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
/tmp/install.dir.2870/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading
shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

It appears that the script that does the configuration doesn't work
properly with the dynamic linker, but I don't know enough about the
internals of glibc to be able to diagnose the problem properly.

I can say a few things which may help:

1) The installation works on Slackware (the host from which I build LFS)

2) If I run ldd I get output which I can see nothing wrong with. For
example:
	ldd /usr/bin/awk
         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
         libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7fe0000)
         libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7fbd000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7ea3000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7feb000)

3) All the libraries which are complained about do exists on the disk.

4) I have run ldconfig this afternoon, and it found all the libraries
mentioned in the error messages.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave