Using LVM partitions

Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.) dupre at avab.com
Thu Jun 30 16:43:17 PDT 2005

I'm trying to boot up to my new LFS 6.0 partition which is a LVM
logical volume, but I am getting this:

...(snipped)
device-mapper: 4.1.0-ioctl (2003-12-10 initialised: dm at uk.sistina.com
...(snipped)
VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LFS" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Grub and the lfskernel are currently running from the host's non-LVM
ext3 boot partition, *not* LFS's /boot directory.  You can see that
the LVM support (device-mapper) is compiled into the kernel.

My (snipped) entry in grub is:

target Fedora Core 3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img

target LFS 6.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/VolGroup00/LFS

Does anyone know more about LVM that could tell me why the host
fedora boot up can find the logical volumes but the LFS boot can't?

- Joe

Note:  I did NOT install the LVM tools into the LFS system, as I can
manage LVM from the main host configuration at this point.