A question on 5.8. Glibc-2.3.4-20040701

Joern Abatz joern at abatz.de
Thu Jun 30 00:07:14 PDT 2005

> >lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build$ localedef -i de_DE
> >-f ISO-8859-1 de_DE
> >Segmentation fault
> >
> >Is it a warning?  Any mistake committed?

"Segmentation fault" is a read or write attempt at a memory segment not
allowed to that process. IIRC Windows calls it: "<program> caused a general
protection fault".

> I'm sorry, I kept forgetting that you specified you were in Chapter 5.

I'm only guessing here, but maybe it's the -f option attempting to load a
charmap into the kernel of the host system (or something like that).

Joern