chroot problem (Chapter 6.3)

David Ciecierski davidcie at klub.chip.pl
Wed Jun 29 15:06:02 PDT 2005

Hello everyone,
...and thanks for taking time to read / answer this post! I've so far
been successful with LFS 6.0, but got stuck at the beginning of Chapter
6. After I mount virtual file systems (sec. 6.2), and enter the chroot
environment, running any program causes the console to hang. Ie. I can
write 'export BLAH=/tools' and then 'echo $BLAH' and get an answer and
prompt, but running something like 'chown -R 0:0 /tools' results in a
'crash'. It's a strange one too - the command DOES get executed but I'm
not able to do anything else (the 'I have no name!' prompt does not
appear again).

Please help me... Will be grateful for any suggestions!
Many thanks in advance.
David Ciecierski

PS: Just for the record: I followed the instructions exactly except I
used GCC 3.4.4, binutils 2.16.1 and Glibc 2.3.5 with apropriate patches
obtained from LFS Development site.