Fail to create 'binutils-build' directory

Kevin M. Jordan kmj7777 at ksu.edu
Wed Jun 29 06:57:10 PDT 2005

> Hi Chris and Jim,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > You need to "cd" into the sources directory, and as
> > Jim said, all the
> > package-installation instructions in the book assume
> > that you have
> > already untarred the package and entered its source
> > directory.
>
> Whether you meant
>
> lfs:~$ cd /mnt/lfs/sources/
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources$
>
> and then run the command here
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources$ mkdir ../binutils-build
>

> All packages and patches for building LFS are in
> /mnt/lfs/sources/
>
> However I still don't understand how following 3
> hidden files exist on host FC3
>
> root:/home/lfs# ls -al
> total 36
> drwx------  2 lfs  lfs  4096 Jun 29 13:17 .
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 Jun 28 17:13 ..
> -rw-------  1 lfs  lfs   622 Jun 29 13:17
> .bash_history
> -rw-r--r--  1 lfs  lfs    59 Jun 28 18:37
> .bash_profile
> -rw-r--r--  1 lfs  lfs    96 Jun 28 23:27 .bashrc
>
> Are they for the host FC3?
>
> I can't find these 3 files for LFS in /mnt/lfs/,
> /mnt/lfs/sources and /mnt/lfs/tools
>
> [root at localhost ~]# ls -al /mnt/lfs
> total 44
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root root  4096 Jun 28 17:05 .
> drwxr-xr-x  7 root root  4096 Jun 27 14:19 ..
> drwx------  2 root root 16384 Jun  2 11:41 lost+found
> drwxrwxrwt  2 lfs  root  4096 Jun 28 13:45 sources
> drwxr-xr-x  2 lfs  root  4096 Jun 28 17:05 tools
>
> /mnt/lfs/tools is an empty directory.
>
> Did I make a mistake.
>
> B.R.
> Stephen

The way you should go about it is
cd $LFS/sources
tar xvjf binutils-2.16.tar.bz2
cd binutils-2.16
mkdir ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils-build

The instructions don't include unpacking the source and assumes you have
already unpacked and done a cd into the source directory.  The .bashrc
and .bash_profile were created by you when you set up the user, they set
up the PATH and other important variables.  .bash_history is a history
of the commands you've typed in.  Seems like you were expecting them to
be in $LFS, which is not the case.  They are to set up the environment
for the temporary user on your host environment.  Look in another users
directory on your host system and you will see they have those files as
well.

$LFS/tools is empty because you haven't installed anything yet.

--
Kevin M. Jordan <kmj7777 at ksu.edu>