Ch 5.10 Expect in SVN-20050621

Wiliam Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Thu Jun 23 01:59:32 PDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:18:56 +0200, Speek wrote:

> When running in ch 5.10 (Expect) ./configure --prefix=/tools --with- tcl=/
> tools/ lib --with-x=no, an error occurs: checking for Tcl private
> headers... checking for tclInt.h... no configure: error: Can't find Tcl
> private headers
>
> Building and installing tcl seemed to go fine. I did not remove the tcl
> source directory. Any ideas?

>From Don Porter in the lfs-dev list:

Hello,

I'm one of the maintainers of the Tcl programming language.

Lately we're seeing a small but increasing number of bug reports submitted
against Tcl coming from people attempting to follow the Linux From Scratch
outline.

I looked briefly at the online LFS instructions,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/

and it appears that Tcl is the first software package compile that is
attempted after the "adjustment of the toolchain".

In the bug reports we receive, it's clear that the problem is that
fundamental parts of the C library ( memcmp(), strstr(), etc.) are not
found when the configure/compile is attempted.  This suggests to me that
something has gone wrong with the toolchain adjustment step, and the LFS
user has a system that isn't working sufficiently well for building Tcl.

I see that at the end of the "Adjusting the Toolchain" section,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/adjusting.html

a simple test is provided to check whether the toolchain adjustment was
completed successfully.  Would it be possible to enhance that test so that
the ability to link against glibc and run programs using glibc is also
tested?

A test and failure at that point would help LFS users get on the right
track earlier, and would spare the Tcl developers getting sent these bogus
bug reports.

Thanks for whatever help/advice you can offer, and if this message is
misdirected, please offer guidance where else I should send it.