Can LFS be copied from 1 hard drive to another after the build?

rblythe rblythe714 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 18:36:18 PDT 2005

I have completed the LFS 6.0 book.  System boots like a champ.  I have started
putting together things from BLFS.  Still working smoothly.  Before I go too
much farther, I would like to know:

Can my current LFS be copied to another hard drive for future build
considerations.  I am only talking about the base LFS (no other packages
installed).  Currently, my LFS is on /dev/hda4.  I would like to copy it
to /dev/sda1 because I have a SCSI drive sitting there doing nothing.  My
host disto is on /dev/hda1 with /home on /dev/hda3.  The swap partition for
LFS and host is /dev/hda2.

What I am hoping to do is copy (not move) the root LFS to /dev/sda1,
use /dev/sda2 for swap and /dev/sda3 for /home.  I know I should have set my
drive up with /dev/hda4, /dev/hda5, /dev/hda6 but I didn't realize the value
of that when I started LFS.

Anyway, can it be copied?

Please also know that I understand that if it can be copied that the
new /etc/fstab will have to be changed as well as /boot/grub/menu.lst, grub
and recompiling the kernel (for scsi etc) all of which can be done from the
host or the first LFS (using chroot) to be in the new environment.  I just
need to know what other considerations there are for this type of thing.  My
SCSI hard drive partition /dev/sda1 is larger than my /dev/hda4 so I am not
concerned with running out of space.  I am also not concerned with the time
the computer may take in doing all of the copying.  I just want to know if it
can be done and what obstacles I may face.

Thanks.