Supported architectures for NPTL???

Robert Russell zoohoo.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:30:16 PDT 2005

On 6/14/05, Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.) <dupre at avab.com> wrote:
> Is NPTL only supported on i686 architectures and "higher"? I can not find
> anything other than hearsay to confirm or deny that NPTL support is
> limited
> to the "newer" architectures. Maybe I just don't know where to look.
>
> - jmd
>
> PS:
> I too am encountering the nptl/tst-clock2.out error
> (clock_gettime round 0 failed)
> I am building for i486
>

> --

NPTL is available for my Via Samuel 2 system. I am building this using
the uname hack mentioned in the old cross compiling for x86 hint.

Output of /tools/lib/libc.so.6

lfs6cd:root ~ # /tools/lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library 2004-07-01 release version 2.3.4, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.1.
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.8 system on 2005-06-10.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Thread-local storage support included.
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

The specs on the processor

lfs6cd:root ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 802.052
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1585.15

Basically this is an 800 mhz i586 processor, i686 or higher programs
give an illegal instruction error, so i am building with the uname
hack.

--
LFS ID #12355