LFS in a USB flash drive/memory stick

Roberto Perpuly meth0dman at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 09:11:06 PDT 2005

Hi all,
Has anyone put their LFS in a USB flash drive/memory stick? I am trying to do so but I am stuck in one place.  Here's what I have done.

1.) Wiped out all partitions on my USB drive and made 1 FAT partition using the command

mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1

2.) mounted the driver and copied bin, etc, home, lib, media, srv, usr, var, sbin directories of my LFS into the drive

3.)  unmounted the drive and made the drive bootable using the command

syslinux /dev/sdb1

4.) copied the kernel (lfskernel-2.6.8.1) from the /boot of  my LFS into /vmlinuz of the USB drive

5.) modified the syslinux.cfg file to look like this:

default linux
prompt 1
timeout 600
display boot.msg
label linux
  kernel vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 init=/sbin/init

6.) Restarted my machine, and the USB boot seems to do fine.  The kernel is unpacked and finds all sorts of devices on my computer.  However, I get the following error:

Cannot find init. Try Passing an init= option to the kernel.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

RP