Chapter 6.12 SVN 20050608 breaking ld?

Peter B. Steiger wyo_wl001 at bresnan.net
Sun Jun 12 19:51:21 PDT 2005

I installed a new hard drive last month and this weekend looked like a
good time to install a brand new lfs with bleeding-edge versions of
everything, so I have been working my way through the latest svn book
and did fine until I got to the step where you patch the specs file to
replace /tools/lib with /lib:

perl -pi -e 's@ /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2@ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 at g;' \
   -e 's@\*startfile_prefix_spec:\n@$_/usr/lib/ @g;'  \
   `gcc --print-file specs`

When I did the sanity check, gcc tells me:
/tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I confirmed that crt1.o is in both /tools/lib and /usr/lib; I went back
and redid chapter 5 again just in case I missed something.  No matter
what, though, every time I get to 6.12 the perl script causes ld to stop
working.

I compared how the svn differs from the stable version, and I see in the
stable version we only replace the location of ld-linux.so.2 but leave
the startfile_prefix_spec alone.  When I do that, the new gcc/ld
environment works fine and the sanity check returns no errors.

I'm sure I must have done something wrong, but I can't for the life of
me figure out what it is.  Has anyone else encountered that error?

I don't know that it should make a difference, but the host system is an
old lfs about three years old with kernel and gcc upgrades to 2.6.11.9
and 3.2.3, respectively.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY