eth0 - can't ping - can't tell if internet connection is working

rblythe rblythe714 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 19:37:35 PDT 2005

I just finished the LFS 6.0 book.  Successfully booted into my new LFS system.
I wanted to check if my on-board LAN is working properly.  when I issue the
ping command the systems just sits there.  After Ctrl-c, it indicates that 10
packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet lost.  Below are
my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf files.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

/etc/hosts
# Begin /etc/hosts (network card version)

127.0.0.1 linux1 localhost
192.168.1.1 <linux1>.example.org linux1

# End /etc/hosts (network card version)

/etc/resolv.conf