Cannot boot LFS 6.0 - grub is working - when LFS is selected it causes reboot of system

rblythe rblythe714 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 04:13:20 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 1:01 am, Wiliam Harrington wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:23:43 -0400, rblythe wrote:
> >>
> >>  Sounds like you selected the wrong processor when you configured the
> >> kernel.
> >>
> >> Ken
> >> --
> >>  das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
> >
> > Okay, I re-compiled the kernel with no luck.  I get the same outcome as
> > before.  If anyone has another possible solution please let me know.
> >
> > Randy
>
> Hello,
>
>    I had a 486 that would do that after selecting the entry. Most the time
> if you build with CFLAGS set it'll affect grub. Did you set any
> optimizations while building grub? Since you say MEPIS 3.3.1 entry is
> working fine, are they both using the same type of filesystem? Give a bit
> more information if you can on how the system is setup and how you
> configured the system to use grub.
>
> William (Ratrophy)

Hello,

Well I think I have more problems.  MEPIS uses ext3 file system, but in
previous attempts to configure grub, it said that root was ext2.  I don't
know if that is a problem or not.  Because I don't yet understand
optimization flags, I didn't consciously set any (I don't know how).  Last
night I recompiled the kernel again and this morning when I went to configure
grub it gave me this message after I typed root (hd0,3):

Error 21: selected disk does not exist.

This has happened before and previous times I would restart my chroot
environment and mount everything again.  I noticed that none on dev/pts type
devpts (rw,gid=4,mode=620) is mounted twice and none on dev/shm type tmpfs
(rw) is mounted twice.  Also when I try the logout before rebooting into LFS
for the first time, most of the mounts say busy - unable to umount (don't
know the exact output but I'm hoping you all know what I mean)

I don't know how I hosed this thing up, but if anyone can provide me with a
fix. I would appreciate it.  If no fix is available, can someone tell me how
to rebuild starting from chapter 6 using the /tools that I already have
created.  I'm hoping I didn't blow it in the earliest stages of this thing
but if a complete restart is necessary then that is what I will have to do.
Please let me know.

Thank you.
Randy