Cannot boot LFS 6.0 - grub is working - when LFS is selected it causes reboot of system

Wiliam Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Mon Jun 6 22:01:13 PDT 2005

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:23:43 -0400, rblythe wrote:

> On Sunday 05 June 2005 5:27 pm, Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, rblythe wrote:
>> > I have just finished the LFS 6.0 book.  I don't have any information
>> > to post because when I restarted my computer the boot screen appeared
>> > with LFS as the first boot option (I also have MEPIS 3.3.1).  When LFS
>> > 6.0 is selected, it starts, shows two lines of output (they go by so
>> > fast I cant read them) and then the computer beeps and goes through
>> > the boot sequence again and provides me with a grub menu.
>>
>>  Sounds like you selected the wrong processor when you configured the
>> kernel.
>>
>> Ken
>> --
>>  das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
>
> Okay, I re-compiled the kernel with no luck.  I get the same outcome as
> before.  If anyone has another possible solution please let me know.
>
> Randy

Hello,

   I had a 486 that would do that after selecting the entry. Most the time if you build with CFLAGS set it'll affect grub. Did you set any optimizations while building grub? Since you say MEPIS 3.3.1 entry is working fine, are they both using the same type of filesystem? Give a bit more information if you can on how the system is setup and how you configured the system to use grub.

William (Ratrophy)