Cannot boot LFS 6.0 - grub is working - when LFS is selected it causes reboot of system

rblythe rblythe714 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 14:06:27 PDT 2005

I have just finished the LFS 6.0 book.  I don't have any information to post
because when I restarted my computer the boot screen appeared with LFS as the
first boot option (I also have MEPIS 3.3.1).  When LFS 6.0 is selected, it
starts, shows two lines of output (they go by so fast I cant read them) and
then the computer beeps and goes through the boot sequence again and provides
me with a grub menu.

When I select MEPIS from this menu, it works just like it always has.  It
boots into my system and I am up and running.

My build went flawlessly once I stopped making typing errors and following the
direction (hopefully completely).  I say hopefully because I would hate it if
I missed something and this is the result.  So you know, this is what
my /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like (extra line spacing omitted for this post):

# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst
# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0
# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default
timeout 30
# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black
# The first entry is for LFS.
title LFS 6.0, kernel 2.6.8.1
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4
# The next entry is for MEPIS 3.3.1, 2.6.10
title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.6.10
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet splash=verbose
vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.splash
# The third entry is for MEPIS 3.3.1, 2.4.29
title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.4.29
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet splash=verbose
vga=791
hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.splash
# The fourth entry is for MEMTEST
title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86.bin

My LFS 6.0  /etc/fstab looks like this (sorry about the line spacing:
# Begin /etc/fstab

# file system   mount-point   type     options   dump    fsck
#                                                                        order

/dev/hda4        /                    ext3     defaults           1          1
/dev/hda2       swap               swap     pri=1             0            0
proc                 /proc               proc     defaults          0       0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs    defaults          0       0
devpts             /dev/pts          devpts   gid=4,mode=620    0       0
shm                /dev/shm         tmpfs    defaults          0           0
usbfs              /proc/bus/usb usbfs    devgid=14,devmode=0660 0  0
# End /etc/fstab

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated because I am so close to
the end of this and I would like to see it work.

Thanks.