Grub can't find my hard drive

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.lfs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 14:01:53 PDT 2005

hi,

> I just want to comment that two other people have replied to you saying
> that you need to be sure that /dev is populated. I don't actually know
> if that is the right answer or not, but I suspect that it isn't true. If
> grub depended on /dev for tab completion, then how would it be able to
> do it when you go into the grub console when your system is booting? I
> think the answer lies somewhere else. Unfortunately, I don't know what
> the answer is.

actually if you are in chroot environment, unless you populate /dev
and mount /proc systems you wont get access to these as those are the
jobs the kernel does and i think thats why we Mount Virtual Kernel
File Systems at the beginning of the 6th Chapter. Am sorry if am wrong
:-)

jsut try "fdisk -l" without mounting kernel virtual file-systems and
populating /dev, there wouldnt be any output displayed. :-)

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep