Grub can't find my hard drive

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sat Jun 4 13:30:36 PDT 2005

curbyIII at netscape.net wrote:
> This is my first LFS system.  I have completed most of the 6.0 LFS book but have hit a brick wall in section 8.4.  I am only a beginner-intermediate Linux user so I will describe what I have done in as much detail as I can (sorry if it's not relevant).
>
> I currently have windows xp, but I want to dual boot with LFS.  I partitioned my SATA hard drive (using partition magic) into 3 partitions:  windows (sda1), LFS (sda5), and swap (sda6).  I am using Knoppix 3.7 to build the LFS system.  Everything went relatively smoothly until I reached section 8.4.  I ran the grub shell and tried
> root (           followed by a TAB but grub just displayed
> root (
> without any other completions.  I tried
<snip>

I just want to comment that two other people have replied to you saying
that you need to be sure that /dev is populated. I don't actually know
if that is the right answer or not, but I suspect that it isn't true. If
grub depended on /dev for tab completion, then how would it be able to
do it when you go into the grub console when your system is booting? I
think the answer lies somewhere else. Unfortunately, I don't know what
the answer is.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182