Grub can't find my hard drive

curbyIII at netscape.net curbyIII at netscape.net
Sat Jun 4 07:35:08 PDT 2005

This is my first LFS system.  I have completed most of the 6.0 LFS book but have hit a brick wall in section 8.4.  I am only a beginner-intermediate Linux user so I will describe what I have done in as much detail as I can (sorry if it's not relevant).

I currently have windows xp, but I want to dual boot with LFS.  I partitioned my SATA hard drive (using partition magic) into 3 partitions:  windows (sda1), LFS (sda5), and swap (sda6).  I am using Knoppix 3.7 to build the LFS system.  Everything went relatively smoothly until I reached section 8.4.  I ran the grub shell and tried
root (           followed by a TAB but grub just displayed
root (
without any other completions.  I tried
root(hd0, + TAB
root(hd1, + TAB
root(hd7, + TAB
and it always returned the same error message:
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Beyond hd7 grub returned
root(hd8, + TAB
Error 12: Invalid device requested

I ran grub in Knoppix and it behaved in exactly the same way.  I looked up the grub documentation and it is not supposed to distinguish SCSI drives from IDE drives.

Thank you

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.