LFS suddenly not working!

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jun 4 04:28:12 PDT 2005

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Ag Hatzim wrote:

> To create the log file you can use the log-install or paco or just use
> this simplier but a little more dangerous way. Use the find command to
> make a log of your system *before* you built the package and one more
> *after* the build,then create the diff of those two and used as a log
> file of the installed package with a little help from grep and sed.
>
> With regards.
> Agx.

 I touch a marker file just before I start the install, then use
something like

find $INSTROOT -newer marker | xargs $GREPSTUFF >logfile

 where INSTROOT is either $LFS or '/' (for chroot and blfs)

 GREPSTUFF repeatedly runs the filnames through grep to exclude certain
directories (e.g. /proc, /sys, wherever I build, perhaps /home, and
wherever I've mounted the logs and sources) so a simplest example could
be " | grep -v '/proc' | grep -v '/sys ' - repeat as necessary.

 The repeated grep -v invocations sure burn up CPU cycles, but for me
its worth it to remove _most_ of the irrelevant changes.  When I do this
for blfs on a running system there are still occasional irrelevant
changes, e.g. to /etc/ntp.drift, so use with care.

 Note that this doesn't always pick up header files or documentation,
which sometimes get installed with old dates.  If that matters, you're
back to using Ag's "find everything and diff".

Ken