LFS suddenly not working!

Ag Hatzim zkom.xl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:05:24 PDT 2005

Chakkaradeep C C(chaks.lfs at gmail.com)@Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 01:27:39AM +0530:

> well, this is not a bad idea, i will try writing my own scripts and
> see how far can this take me in automating my job now! :-)

Its a good idea to log every single package and a better idea to create
binaries for every package,just in case something goes wrong.

All you have to do is to write some functions,eg..
fetch,untar,log,create the binary,exit on error etc...

After you can create makefiles for every single package,where you
can pass configure options or anything else that the lfs book provides.

First you can write a simple template similar to this.

#-------------------------------#
source [functions]
NA=`basename ${0}` #name of the package-file
VE=      #version
SURL=    #sources url
fetchsources(function);untarsources(function);cdtosourcesdir(function);diff(function)
 ./configure ;make ;make install;log(function);binary(function);cleanthesources(function)

#-------------------------------#
If you are enough lazy,like me,you can write a simple script to cp a general template,to open the make file
and change some values(version,surl,configure,make install),to build the
package,and uninstall the package,for updates etc...
Then setup some dirs to store the log files,the sources,the binaries,and the
makefiles.

There are some good jobs out there to take some ideas,look at Ryan's
scripts or Greg Shaffer's scripts,or just use a simple pm like paco.

You dont need portage really,in anycase portage isnt anymore the pm it
used to be one year before,if you really want a pm better use
pacman instead,or the pm from crux which is my suggestion if you want to
avoid all the job.

But remember:You do it once,but stays for ever,and its...yours.

With regards to Pmanagers,its only in our heads,really,the
best pm i found is the human mind.

With regards.
Agx.