LFS suddenly not working!

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 12:48:55 PDT 2005

Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
> hey i think YOPER got installed on top of LFS and now both are not
> working.so planning to build LFS again.i think there is no other
> choice left!...
>
> is there any automated script which installs LFS?

There is Automated Linux From Scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/whatisalfs.html
Personally I found the idea of an automated tool that would compile the kernel, install grub and /etc/fstab and everything without making a mistake a bit...well it seemed a bit of a gamble. So I use scripts to do the basic legwork

tar xjf foo-bar.tar.bz2 &&
cd foo-bar &&
./configure --prefix=/usr &&
make &&
make install &&
cd .. &&
rm -rf foo-bar &&
ldconfig &&
...and so on

I run certain key bit by hand but then the scripts run unattended in between. Writing the scripts and debugging them the first time was time consuming but once it's done it's dead easy to update a new package in the script. Run the scripts again and you have a clean new system. If something's not working quite right you have a complete record of what you installed, what configure options you used, what order things were installed in. So if you want automated script which installs LFS I would recommend that you write them yourself. It works well for me.