Repartition question

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.lfs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 09:39:26 PDT 2005

hi,

> > Since the box runs ext3 on all partitions before
> > repartition.  Therefore I also made /dev/hda6 and
> > /dev/hda7 run on ext3.  Can I build LFS on ext3?  Any
> > comment/advice on the mount points?

you can build lfs in an ext3 partition...no doubt in that my friend.. :-) ..
for the mount point i would suggest comething like this,

****************PARTITION***********************************************************
/boot      =100 MB
swap     = 2 x RAM MB ( i.e; if 256 MB RAM,then choose swap for 512 MB)
/            = 5120 MB
/mnt/lfs  = 10120 MB
****************PARTITION***********************************************************

so now you can continue as per the instructions in the bookl... :-)

>  You can certainly build on ext3, BUT fedora often adds new options into
> the filesystem which may need a newer version of e2fsprogs to be
> recognised (search the archives at search.linuxfromscratch.org for
> 'e2fsprogs' and 'unsupported').  This is most likely to bite you when
> you first boot the new system, or after the first unclean shutdown.

yeah, the e2fsprogs in Fedora Core 3 is newer than the one given with
LFS , so while installing e2fsprogs , please do download the latest
version and pingo,you have your LFS system ready to boot!. I have
built LFS using FC-3 and i found only e2fsprogs will cause problem.

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep