Repartition question

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jun 3 09:15:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Fedora Core 3
> =============
>
> I'm prepared to build LFS on a FC3 box which has 4
> partitions by following the instruction of
> LinuxFromScratch_V6.0 issued on 12/09/2004.  The old
> partitions are as follows;
>
> /boot
> /
> /swap
> /home
>
> I repartition /home and create 3 new partitions
>
> /dev/hda5  /home
> /dev/hda6  /mnt/LFS
> /dev/hda7  /mnt/LiveCD

 Stylistically, capitalisation (except _perhaps_ 'CD') is often
considered wrong - if you look at the book, it mounts at /mnt/lfs. But
that's just a comment to make sure you remember where you mount it and
are consistent in what you do.

 But, why do you want a partition named for the LiveCD ?  I'm not
arguing that extra partitions are wasted [ if you get the LFS bug, they
are useful for testing changes, particularly of the "does it build
itself" type ] but this seems a bit strange.

 If you build from the Live CD, you boot from CD and therefore the
fedora host doesn't have a lot of influence.

> Since the box runs ext3 on all partitions before
> repartition.  Therefore I also made /dev/hda6 and
> /dev/hda7 run on ext3.  Can I build LFS on ext3?  Any
> comment/advice on the mount points?

 You can certainly build on ext3, BUT fedora often adds new options into
the filesystem which may need a newer version of e2fsprogs to be
recognised (search the archives at search.linuxfromscratch.org for
'e2fsprogs' and 'unsupported').  This is most likely to bite you when
you first boot the new system, or after the first unclean shutdown.

Ken