File system unknown partition type 0x7 at grub boot

Tristan de Couasnon t.decouasnon at free.fr
Fri Jan 21 14:56:02 PST 2005

Still a newbee..
I trying to install LFS 5.1.1
After some pain
I reached the point to make my LFS bootable
I am using this partitioning:
hda1     XP
hda2     Suse linux 9.1
hda3     swap

hdb1     LFS
hdb2     swap

When I say ( as explained in LFS book ) to grub           root( hd1,0)
I got nice blocking message:

 File system unknown partition type 0x7
.
Cannot mount the selected partition.
I searched on the web and found a lot of similar question without answer.
May be my search was incomplete.

I found myself a solution that may help some
It is not documented as far as I found
and this is bad for new comers like me trying to dig Linux

What I guess is that when grubs start it considers its own partition as
hd0,x
So hd1,0 in my case is XP so the message
Changing grub root command with (hd0,0) lets grub start from where it is
(hdb1) and suppress

But now some lines later I have another story :-(:-(:-(:-(
IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)

And later on
hda lost interrupt
hda lost interrupt
hda lost interrupt

A lot of people set up the same question and there is not a clean usable
answer.

I am certainly stupid so if you know some links toward the solution let me
know
I start to be tired about LFS

Thanks a lot

Tristan