TR: File system unknown partition at grub boot : possible solution

Tristan de Couasnon t.decouasnon at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 23:49:24 PST 2005

  _____

De : Tristan de Couasnon [mailto:t.decouasnon at free.fr]

Still a newbee..
I trying to install LFS 5.1.1
After some pain
I reached the point to make my LFS bootable
I am using this partitioning:
hda1     XP
hda2     Suse linux 9.1
hda3     swap

hdb1     LFS
hdb2     swap

When I say ( as explained in LFS book ) to grub           root( hd1,0)
I got nice blocking message at boot start:

 File system unknown partition type 0x7
.
Cannot mount the selected partition.
I searched on the web and found a lot of similar question without answer.
May be my search was incomplete.

I found myself a solution that may help some
Having the same problem

What I guess is that when grubs start it considers its own partition as
hd0,x
So hd1,0 in my case is XP so the message
Changing grub root command with (hd0,0) lets grub start from where it is
(hdb1) and suppress
Tristan