telnet always tries 255.255.255.255

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Fri Jan 28 01:38:44 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:26:23AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> >>Dont alphas use a 32 bit userspace and 64bit kernel ?
> >

> >This is not really important for this particular problem.
>
> <cut>
>
> > The problem
> >appears only with newer libc (I don't know starting with which version)
> >which declares inet_addr returning u_int32_t, which is always 32 bits
> >long. In this case comparisson with unsigned long is not valid anymore.
> >So the code stops working.
>
> So does this mean that alphas 32bit userspace is referring only to the
> size of the virtual address space, and not also the instruction set
> parameters in use ?
>
> IOW is a long 64 bits on alpha in both 32 or 64 bit mode?

:) It does not mean it. Just to answer your question: On my alpha the
mode is truly 64 bit, both for kernel and user space. I checked also
NetBSD installed on Alpha, the same story is there. So, I can't say how
behave alphas that have 32 bit user address space under 64 bit kernel.
In my post I was just explaining why telnet was working before and does
not work now on 64-bit platforms :) That was my "particular problem" :)